1. This is a business partnership.
2. The advance has a purpose.
3. The competitive landscape.
4. Average sales and returns for any book.
5. You are your book's best publicist.
6. You can make more money selling your book than you can on royalties.
7. Advertising is not publicity, and vice versa.
8. Table space at the chains is not free.
9. Airports won't carry your book because we think travelers will like it.
10. Special markets. Special markets. Specials markets.
This seems like as good as place as any to jump in. I'll cover these ten points, and a little more, in the days ahead. I hope you will comment and share your reactions, your questions, your ideas, and suggestions.