Friday, September 5, 2008

Meet John Mitchell

John has been in publishing for more than 35 years with a background in mass entertainment, sports, tourism, true crime, and medical issues. He previously worked for Billboard Publications, Advantage Companies, The Tennessean, and Rutledge Hill Press before joining Cumberland House in 2001.

Name: John Mitchell

Childhood nickname(s): None, although my Cub Scout secret name was Kalmanu (Bold Lightning), and my nieces/nephew and grand-nieces/nephews sometimes call me Uncle Donald, because I do a killer Donald Duck voice.

Title: Editor

Hometown: Nashville, Tennessee

Education: Peabody College, Nashville, Business Administration and Music; Blair Academy of Music, Nashville; Glencliff High, Nashville

How long in current job: 7 years

Previous jobs: Editor, Cope and Coping magazines; Editor, Rutledge Hill Press; Vice President, Publications, Tom Jackson & Associates; News Editor and Managing Editor, Amusement Business Magazine.

Dream job: Emperor; I’m planning to run in 2012 and would appreciate your vote. Campaign slogan: “Fair play for all and a return to common sense in government.”

Passionate about: Fishing, although I don’t get to go nearly as often as I would like. Trout everywhere are rejoicing.

What are you reading? I’m an avid sci-fi/fantasy buff and am currently re-reading Dean Koontz’s Odd Thomas series. Favorite authors: Frank Herbert, Dune series and many others; George R.R. Martin, Fire and Ice saga; James Patterson and John D. MacDonald (whodunits).

What’s on your iPod? Call me a curmudgeon, but I don’t have one. I do, however, have an extensive iTunes collection that spans Bach to Rock and am a fan of dainbramage.com.

Tell us something about you that no one would guess: I played trumpet with the Nashville Symphony and was once kissed by Joan Baez.

Other comments: The best thing that can be said about aging is that it beats the heck out of the alternative.

No comments: